Posted by Magda
Even though it wasn't on the table for a decision, after parking the economy was the most popular topic of discussion on budget night.
- Jane Cabral, Neighbourhood Support Coalition: Funding for neighbourhood groups is more important during uncertain economic times, because they do things like helping people buy their kids school supplies and offering breakfast programs.
- Maggie Laidlaw: An arts and culture supervisor will help create jobs in that sector, which are more stable these days than manufacturing jobs.
- Gloria Kovach: Given that people are struggling to pay their taxes, it's not the time to spend money on an arts supervisor.
- Maggie Laidlaw: New sidewalks are important, because more people walk during a recession.
- Bob Bell: The recession of the early 1990s increased the number of people on welfare by 50% in three consecutive years -- so it's not an appropriate time to cut the social services transfer to the county.